I loved watching Pepi Le Piu as a kid, but I love my wife even more
Yesterday was my 8 year anniversary. I can’t believe how fast time flies by. I can still remember my wedding like it was not that long ago. I won’t say that it was just like it was yesterday because I just finished yesterday and it wasn’t anything like my wedding.
Weddings are a great time and a great experience, but they are so stressful. I just went to a friend’s wedding this past weekend, and watching him and his bride reminded me of the stress that is involved on the wedding day. The bride has thought about the wedding since she is old enough to understand that people get married and she can get married someday. She has visualized it thousands of times and wants it to be perfect. If anything starts to seem like it isn’t going to be perfect, then it is very likely that she is going to cry. Then the groom is stressed out because his future wife is crying, and he has to fix everything so that the day runs just like she has planned for the last two decades.
Another interesting thing about marriages is that they all don’t last. This last week has been all about relationships for me. I recently talked to a friend who’s marriage is most likely ending. Things were going badly, they got worse, now they are separated. I would like to say that I hope things work out, but if things work out to where they are in a bad relationship again, that doesn’t make anyone happy. I think a better thing to say is that I hope they are both happy, whether that means that they are in each others’ lives, only time will tell.
I also talked with a woman on a plane on my way to my friend’s wedding. Her marriage is ending. Same story of things were bad and then got worse, and now they are separated. This couple has kids so it makes it more complicated. The other couple doesn’t have kids so there will be less broken hearts.
These stories, however, don’t have much to do with my relationship with my wife, other than the fact that they can serve as learning experiences for me so that I can work on having a strong marriage and not having to move out of the house and have my wife and kids hate me. My wife is the best on the planet, and here are five reasons why.
1. My wife supports me in whatever I choose to do. It is hard for me to believe that my wife has been so supportive of me throughout all of these years. For years I was a professional athlete, in the sense that I was training and competing full time and getting paid a little bit to do it. Unfortunately though, it didn’t pay anywhere near what most professional athletes get paid. I was gone a lot out of the country, and we pretty much put our lives on hold for years so I could wrestle and train for the Olympics. She never complained, she came to all of the meets that she could, and she never said stop screwing around and get a real job. She even supported me in my decision to coach wrestling despite the fact that I had a job offer that would have paid me twice as much as my current salary.
2. My wife loves me even though I am crazy. I am crazy. I have already given one example of why I am crazy in the fact that I turned down a job that offered me double my current salary, but there are plenty of other reasons why I am crazy too. I am very obsessive compulsive about a few things, especially when it comes to food. I just have some weird habits. One time my wife had made dinner, and instead of just thanking her and enjoying the delicious meal, I asked her if the next time that she made it if she could cut the vegetables in strips and cut the meat up in cubes instead of cutting the meat in strips and the vegetables in cubes. I also have a habit of thinking that I can save money on some things by either trying to do it myself or making it myself. I think in every instance when I have tried to do that, it has been more expensive for me to do it myself or make my own. She laughs at my craziness and lets me do my thing.
3. My wife has taught me how to communicate (kind of). When I was attending college, I didn’t know what I wanted to do professionally other than wrestle and coach. One of the other guys on my team was a communication studies major, and I looked up to him. I decided that I wasn’t much of a communicator anyway so I decided to study communication. Even though I graduated with a major in communication studies, I don’t feel like I am an expert at communication by any stretch of the imagination. There were many times that my wife knew I was upset, angry, or frustrated, and she would ask me what was wrong. I would almost always tell her that nothing was wrong and continue to be upset. I felt like I had to just suffer through things the same way that I would just suffer through an intense training session. She wouldn’t let me not communicate though. Over the years, I have opened up more and more until now I feel very comfortable talking to her about anything. I still feel like I have a long way to go in this area, but I feel like my wife has helped me tremendously to be able to become a better communicator.
4. My wife is my best friend. I have experienced a lot of things in my life ranging from traveling all over the world, winning championships, losing championships, making money, losing money, friends being awesome, friends betraying me, loved ones dying, etc… Through all of these things my wife has been my best friend. I feel like she would do anything that she could possibly do to make me happy and make my life better. She is not above sacrificing anything for my happiness, and I feel like no matter what I tell her, she will listen without judging or degrading me. She loves me and respects me, just like best friends do.
5. My wife is hot and has given me some beautiful children. I am really lucky that my wife being as pretty as she is loves a guy with as gnarled ears as mine are. I have scars, funny looking ears, a bald head, a hairy back, and a growing waist line. Despite my ugliness, my wife decided that I was worth keeping around. Everyday I look at how pretty she is, and I am fortunate that she continues to stay with me. I have some of the cutest daughters around, and I know that their good looks were definitely inherited from my wife.
These five reasons aren’t the only reasons why my wife is the best on the planet, but it is a start. I am so lucky that she has stayed with me for 8 years, and after 2 kids and another one on the way, I am glad to say that we are still going strong. I couldn’t have asked for anyone better to share my life with.